The overall goal of the Wilmington Zoning Task Force is to help guide the process, working with project facilitators and City staff, as a sounding board. While City Council will ultimately serve as the decision-makers on the project, the Task Force will recommend draft zoning language for review by the City Planning Commission and City Council. The Task Force will be responsible to discuss issues, review products and generally keep the process moving forward in a positive and efficient manner.
The Task Force will play a key role in the development of an updated zoning code. Members will work closely with project facilitators and City staff in the development of the updated code. The Task Force is an advisory body and members' roles include the following:
1. Advise project facilitators on zoning and development matters relating to the update of the Code;
2. Identify stakeholders;
3. Identify participation techniques and assist in public workshops;
4. Encourage others to become involved in the process by interacting with citizens and citizen groups
to develop, and promote interest and involvement in the process;
5. Review, comment, and recommend changes to the draft zoning code; and
6. Forward recommendations to the City Planning Commission.
The Task Force is critical to the success of the project, and committed members are critical to the success of the Task Force. To achieve success, members should agree to participate in the following ways:
1. Regularly attend scheduled Task Force meetings;
2. Read background materials and other materials distributed between meetings;
3. Identify additional information that would be helpful to share with other committee members;
4. Come prepared to actively participate in discussions; and
5. Respect the comments of other members.
The following guidelines and procedures are intended to guide the Task Force in fulfilling its role:
1. The process should proceed as quickly as possible using existing materials and information where
2. Members should strive to achieve consensus on all recommendations while remaining sensitive to
3. All meetings shall be open to the public with the appropriate level of public participation to be
decided by the Task Force.
4. The Task Force should provide additional forums for residents to express their opinions on the
draft Zoning Code.
5. The Task Force should listen to and consider testimony from the public and other government
agencies as it affects the Code and development in the City of Wilmington.
6. The Task Force should act as coordinator for community involvement in the process, resolving
inconsistencies and conflicts in the draft recommendations, prior to forwarding those
recommendations to the Planning Commission.
7. Residents' participation in the update process is invited and encouraged. A period is reserved at
the end of each meeting for residents to provide comments directly to the Task Force.
8. Members are expected to represent their own views, but also to consider the views of other
segments of the City and ultimately to consider what is best for the City as a whole.